NASCAR: Arrested on DUI, Brian France takes leave of absence; Jim France becomes interim CEO


The chairman and CEO of NASCAR, Brian France was arrested Sunday evening for a DUI and was found to be in possession of oxycodone. Uncle, Jim France announced as interim CEO.

TMZ Sports was the first to report the incident Monday morning.

Monday evening Brian France announced, “effective immediately, I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from my position to focus on my personal affairs.”

NASCAR made a couple of public statements on the incident. In the morning, just before 10 a.m. it issued a statement to TMZ, saying, “We are aware of an incident that occurred last night and are in the process of gathering information. … We take this as a serious matter and will issue a statement after we have all of the facts.”

At 5 p.m. it, in conjunction with France, announced his departure and temporary replacement in Jim France.

“Brian France has taken an indefinite leave of absence from NASCAR as chairman and chief executive officer. Effective immediately, NASCAR Vice Chairman and Executive Vice President Jim France has assumed the role of interim chairman and chief executive officer.”

The 73-year-old, Jim France is the founder of the GRAND-AM racing series and was pivotal in merging that league with the American Le Mans Series, creating the International Motor Sports Association in 2014. He is also the son of Bill France Sr., NASCAR’s primary founder.


The press release from the Sag Harbor Village Police Department reads as follows: “On Aug. 5, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. the Sag Harbor Village Police Department arrested Brian Z. France for aggravated driving while intoxicated and criminal possession of a controlled substance in the 7th degree. Mr. France was observed operating a 2017 Lexus northbound on Main Street failing to stop at a duly posted stop sign. Up traffic stop it was determined that Mr. France was operating said vehicle in an intoxicated condition. Upon search of his person due to a lawful arrest Mr. France was in possesion of oxycodone pills. Mr. France was arrested and processed held overnight for arraignment in the morning. Mr. France was arraigned at the Sag Harbor Village Justice Court on Aug. 6, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. where he was released on his own recognizance.


In announcing his absence, Brian France said, “I apologize to our fans, our industry and my family for the impact of my actions last night,” said Brian France.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About Camden Lazenby

Recommended for you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *